Daily vehicle demonstrations at 11am, FREE with admission!
Please note that the cars or exhibit items shown in this database are part of our collection but may not be on display when you visit.
After having great success in GT and sports car racing, two of the great race car builders in France, Charles Deutsch and Rene Bonnet, developed the Monomill series of racing in 1954. This spec series used single seat racers, based on D.B.’s Formula III cars and powered by Panhard 850cc engines. Uniquely, D.B. leased the cars to drivers that were selected by ballot at each race. The 1954 season began on April 25th, 1954 at L'autodrome de Linas-Montlhéry, one of the great racing circuits in Europe, and saw a successful start for the series with numerous famed drivers taking the wheels of the Monomill racers. Although the 1954 season was a success, the 1955 season was cancelled after only two races due to the tragic accident at the 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans race that killed 83 spectators.
Monomill #533 was first raced by the D.B. factory race team on July 25th, 1954 at the Grand Prix de Caen with Claude Storez at the wheel and the car wearing #40. During the race the car suffered an accident but was able to finish the race. At the end of the 1954 season, the car was sold by D.B. to a private owner and the Monomill would be privateer-raced between 1955 and 1959.
Manufacturer: Automobiles D.B.
Country of Origin: France
Drivetrain Configuration: Front-engine, front-wheel drive
Engine: Panhard, air-cooled, 850cc, two-cylinder, four-stroke, boxer-style
Transmission: 4-speed manual plus reverse
Top speed: 170 km/h (105 mph)
Years Produced: 1954