Daily demonstrations at 11AM, FREE with admission!
Tatra T-97- 1938
Design of the T-97 was finalized by Erich Ledwinka, one of Hans Ledwinka’s sons, and was developed alongside the T-87. It was in effect a slightly scaled down version of the
T-87 and was almost identical in style. The most obvious styling difference between the two models is the lack of the sixth window on each side of the T-97. Unlike its larger sibling, the T-97’s front windshield is a single flat pane of glass and it lacks the third front headlight.
The T-97 is built on a self-supporting pressed steel platform with a central tube for added strength. With a rear mounted 4-cylinder engine, the T-97 could cruise easily at 68 mph with a maximum speed of 78 mph. These figures are most impressive for the late 1930s and speak volumes of the aerodynamic efficiency in the car’s design. Much like the larger T-87, the car still had great road handling and ride. After the outbreak of World War II in 1939, production of the T-97 was halted due to the occupying German army taking over Czechoslovakian vehicle production. Only 508 examples of the T-97 were produced between 1936 and 1939.
Manufacturer: Zavody Ringhoffer–Tatra Country of Origin: Czechoslovakia
Drivetrain Configuration: Rear-engine, rear-wheel drive
Engine: 4-cylinder, air-cooled, 1749cc,40 HP
Transmission: 4-speed manual plus reverse
Top speed: 125 km/h (78 mph)
Years Produced: 1936-1939
Number Produced: 508