Please note that the cars or exhibit items shown in this database are part of our collection but may not be on display when you visit.
In 1952, disabled Russian veterans of World War II (or the “Great Patriotic War” as it was called in the USSR) received their long-overdue motorized transportation in the form of a government provided open three-wheeler, the SL1. Built by a motorbike company in Serpukhov, the light vehicle proved that having only 3 wheels was an impractical choice for the Russian snow, sleet, and mud. Therefore, in 1958, the 4-wheeled, open-topped SMZ appeared. It could do 25 mph instead of the previous model’s 12.4 mph and featured front torsion bar suspension attached to a tubular frame. Two different models were manufactured: the S3A seen here, for driving with two hands, and the SZB for driving with one hand and one leg. In the Soviet Union, they were commonly called “motor-wheelchairs” (or invalidka in Russian) and were only available through the social care system, leased for up to 5 years. The S3A was manufactured until 1970 when it was replaced by a modernized S3D version.
Manufacturer: Serpukhovsji Motornnyi Zavod
Country of Origin: Russia
Drivetrain Configuration: Rear-engine, rear wheel drive
Engine: 346cc, single-cylinder, 2- stroke, 8bhp
Transmission: 4 speed manual
Top Speed: 40 km/h (25 mph)
Years of Production: 1958-1970
Number Produced: Unknown
Original Cost: Free or heavily discounted