Please note that the cars or exhibit items shown in this database are part of our collection but may not be on display when you visit.
In 1891, Panhard built a batch of 4 identical cars, followed by series after series of increasing numbers. Although Benz and Daimler built cars earlier, they were isolated examples. Chronologically, this makes Panhard-Levassor the world’s first make of car in continuous production. During WWI, Panhard-Levassor produced cars, trucks, marine and aircraft engine, tractors, tools, machine guns, and ammunition. During WWII, the factory maintained truck production for the German occupants and supplied track elements for German tanks. Pre-war Panhards were deluxe coaches. After the war, the company realized the economics of the car market would be fundamentally different. Post-war Panhards were small economy cars with plenty of personality. In 1955, Citroën purchased 45% of Panhard-Levassor shares. Citroën dealers soon became Panhard dealers.
Manufacturer: Sté Anonyme des Anciens Établissements, Panhard & Levassor
Country of Origin: France
Drivetrain Configuration: Front-engine, front wheel drive
Engine: 900cc, air-cooled, horizontally-opposed, 2-cylinder
Transmission: 4 speed manual
Top Speed: 80 mph
Years of Production: 1960-63
Number Produced: 33,698
Original Cost: 6,890 French Francs ($1,800 USD in 1960)