Daily demonstrations at 11AM, FREE with admission!
Panhard-Levassor 6 CS Panoramique- 1936
René Panhard and Emilé Levassor built their first car in 1890, a
mid-engined, back-to-back horseless carriage. The following year, they built what many consider to be the first modern car, in terms of architecture: front mounted engine, clutch mounted between the engine and gearbox, and a driven rear axle. Almost all automobiles would follow this layout for the next 80 years, until front-wheel drive cars became more popular and cheaper to build.
The 6 CS Panoramique sedan debuted in 1934, introducing small quarter windows to the A-pillar in order to improve outward visibility (hence the “Panoramic” name). This car would have been considered a high-end luxury car of its time. Note the hand-painted pinstriping along the bodywork and on the wheelhub, as well as the all-metal dash and door trim painted to look like wood. The 6 CS was powered by a 4.8 liter, 27hp sleeve-valve inline-six cylinder engine. 1936 was the last year of the “CS” model line. This car was purchased in November 1936 by Monsieur Edmond Sieradsky, of Neuilly Sur Seine, France, just west of Paris.
Manufacturer: Panhard et Levassor
Country of Origin: France
Drivetrain Configuration: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Engine: 6 cylinder, 4783cc, sleeve-valve
Transmission: 4 speed manual
Top Speed: 80 MPH
Years of Production: 1934-38
Number Produced: 2,500
Original Cost: 83,800 Francs ($5100 US in 1936)