Please note that the cars or exhibit items shown in this database are part of our collection but may not be on display when you visit.
In 1957, BMW brought out a 4-seater development of the Isetta. The 600 (named for its engine size), has two doors: the swing-up front door as on the Isetta, and a door on the right side for passengers. While it may be laughingly referred to as an “Isetta limousine,” the 600 took several steps to becoming a real car. The narrow rear track was widened to two inches narrower than its front. Eight inches were added to the wheel base to allow a back seat. Wheels were still 10 inches in diameter, but at 3½ inches wide, they are half an inch wider than the Isetta wheel. The front suspension retained the leading-arm with coil-spring design, though it was beefed up for the 600. Approximately 3,500 600s came to the U.S. To meet U.S. safety requirements, modifications were made to the bumper