If you haven't heard, a rare solar eclipse event is happening on Monday, August 21, 2017 and Nashville, TN is one of the best spots in the country to view it from! http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/communities/states/TN/Nashville_1777.htm
For this special day only, we'll be offering half-price admission for adults 18+ all day and the first 150 guests will receive a complimentary pair of certified eclipse glasses with each paid admission that can be used to watch the eclipse event! The totality of the eclipse is expected to happen at approximately 1:27pm Central Time. Scroll down for our schedule of activities for the day.
Learn more about safe viewing of a solar ecliplse (even with glasses!) here:
Full Eclipse Event Schedule:
- 10:00 am- Museum opens! Come in to enjoy half-priced adult admission of $6 and the first 150 guests will receive certified solar glasses with their paid admission. We will have educational materials on hand to help guide you through the experience.
- 11:30 am- If you want to watch the entire event, get in place! The moon will begin crossing the sun at approximately 11:58 am.
- 11:58 am- First contact. Outside, the moon will now start its path across the sun. You must use solar glasses to view this part safely!
- 1:15 pm- Get in place for the full total eclipse! Museum Education Director Rex Bennett will offer an explanation of the total solar eclipse in front of the museum. Again, be sure you have your solar glasses on for safety while watching for the start of the total eclipse. (Additional parking/viewing will be available behind the museum but you will not be able to hear the presentation.)
- 1:27 pm-1:29 pm- Totality of the Eclipse. To fully enjoy the eclipse, there will be no presentation during the approximately 2 minutes of full totality.
- 1:29 pm-3:54 pm- Moon finishes passing over the sun. As you can see, this takes almost 2 hours and 25 minutes to complete. If you wish to watch the full event, you are welcome to continue viewing from your chair. Just remember, you still need your solar glasses to view this safely.
A few important notes:
- Bring your own folding chairs! You can set them up on our lawn areas in the front, or in the back parking lot. We don’t know how many people to expect for this event but we will close the museum to parking if we become full.
- Besides a couple of vending machines in the museum, we don’t have food on site, though there are many fast food restaurants in the vicinity. Outside food & beverage is not allowed inside the museum but you may have it outside.
- On the day of the event: If you would like to know if we still have glasses left or if the museum parking lot is full, please check our accounts on Twitter and Facebook for updates.