Introduced in 1972 and named after the Tipo 158 racing cars of 1939-1950, the Alfetta Saloon utilized a completely new drivetrain for production Alfa models. The front was fairly conventional with double wishbones and torsion bars, but the rear used a de dion setup with clutch, transaxle, and inboard disc brakes, providing excellent weight distribution at the expense of added complexity. The four-door saloon’s conventional three box body was penned by Giugiaro, and it was fitted with a longitudinally mounted four cylinder, dohc engine, with either dual weber carburetors or spica injection. The U.S. market got the 2 liter engine and spica injection beginning in 1975–good for 130 horsepower and a top speed of 113 miles per hour. Not bad, considering the primitive (by today’s standards) emission controls utilized.