Please note that the cars or exhibit items shown in this database are part of our collection but may not be on display when you visit.
American LaFrance (ALF), the company that built the pumping apparatus on this 1971 Ford F750, had a long and storied history. The companies that would eventually merge into ALF go back as far as 1832, and produced hand-drawn, horse-drawn, and steam-powered fire engines. Truckson LaFrance and his partners would form LaFrance Manufacturing Company in 1873; the company was renamed American LaFrance in 1903, and opened a large facility in Elmira, New York. ALF was known for its innovative and distinctive equipment designs, most notably the cab-forward style utilized on many fire trucks today.
This truck is a conventional “pumper” with three main duties: transport personnel (up to three in this single cab truck), carry hoses and ladders, and pump water from an external supply. This model can pump up to 750 g.p.m. (gallons per minute) to extinguish blazes quickly.
This truck was originally used by the Central Heights Volunteer Fire Department in Nacagdoches, TX.
It most recently served in Allegany, NY, before being acquired by the museum in 2014. The acrylic
sides were installed prior to 2014, in order for observers to see the usually hidden compartments.
Manufacturer: American LaFrance (apparatus); Ford Motor Company (truck)
Country of Origin: United States
Drivetrain Configuration: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Engine: 391 cu in V8, 235 HP
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Top Speed: 60 MPH
Years of Production: 1966-1972 (fifth generation Ford F-Series)
Number Produced: Unknown
Original Cost: Unknown