This car is a mystery to us. Lane Motor Museum purchased it from a seller in England. We were purchasing the 1924 Citroën 5CV which is located in the French section, and he asked if we would also like this car.
Berkeley was Britain’s leading caravan maker in the 1950s. In 1956, Lawrie Bond approached Charles Panter of Berkeley Caravans with his new design. It was an ideal project for Berkeley who had developed considerable skills in the use of fiberglass and were looking for something to fill the gaps in the very seasonal caravan market.
The Bertone X1/9 is a two-seater sports car designed by Bertone and built by Fiat. Intended to be the first affordable mid-engined sports car, the X1/9 is notable for its sharp styling and impeccable handling.
A short-lived classic! The BMW 320 was built for just one year. First presented in July 1937, the 320 showed a close resemblance to the transitional 329. The 320 was smaller, lighter, and less expensive than its predecessor. The 320 was a high performance car with many admirers.
In 1957, BMW brought out a 4-seater development of the Isetta. The 600 (named for its engine size), has two doors: the swing-up front door as on the Isetta, and a door on the right side for passengers.
The little-known and rarely seen BMW 700 Coupé is arguably one of the most important models in BMW’s post-war history. The first of the series and highest-selling variant in the 700 family (Coupé, Luxus LS, Limosin, Cabrio), the 700 Coupé was the brainchild of Austrian BMW importer and racer Wolfgang Denzel.
BMW’s Bavaria model was a US-only model, derived from Europe’s 2500/2800/3000/3300 series of sedans. Known as the E3 among aficionados, it shared everything under the skin with the E9 Coupe, which many consider BMW’s most beautiful design.
Gebráder Ihle Karosserie und Apparatebau was a body shop and engineering company in Germany. After the first world war it supplied vehicles for fairground operators. In 1934, they designed a sports-car body to be mounted on a BMW Dixi chassis.
Driven by the need for post-war affordable transportation, BMW decided to supplement slow sales of their larger models with an inexpensive car. In 1955, BMW acquired the license from ISO (an Italian refrigerator company) to make this “bubble car.”