Beginning in the early 1950s, many amateur race cars were nothing more than a street car with some limited modifications. Competitors often drove their cars to the track, raced, and then drove the car home.
Saab’s Model 93, introduced Dec. 1, 1955, was only the company’s second automotive model, and was the first to be exported in significant numbers – most came to the US. The 93 was designed by famed Swedish industrial designer Sixten Sason.
The Formula Monza series started in Italy in the late 1970s. It was a single seater racing class. The rules allowed for any motor less than 500cc. Also, the brakes and other driveline components had to be from a production car. This helped keep costs down.
Parisian racer and auto enthusiast Jean-Claude Hrubon created this shortened version of the Mini Moke. Mr. Hrubon started production in 1980, but quickly sold the manufacturing rights in 1981 to Bernard Schmitt, who produced most of the cars.
It may seem hard to believe, but the manufacturer of the Scootacar also produced railroad locomotives. The Scootacar was developed in 1957 by the Hunslet Engine Works of Leeds, Yorkshire, UK, by Henry Brown, using a Villiers two stroke engine.
It may seem hard to believe, but the manufacturer of the Scootacar also produced railroad locomotives. The Scootacar was developed in 1957 by the Hunslet Engine Works of Leeds, Yorkshire, UK, by Henry Brown.
SEAB (Societe d'Exploitation et d'Application des Brevet) was perhaps best-known as the manufacturer of the plastic bodies used on Citroën's Mehari, but they later became a manufacturer of vehicules sans permis, or "unlicensed" microcars - cars small enough to not require the legalities of full-sized autos.
This company began under the name “Sicam” in 1912 and produced a small cyclecar. In the early 1920s they began making 98cc engines for attaching to bicycles. By 1924, the company was reformed under the new name for the purpose of making the Sima-Violet.
In 1958 Simca updated the Aronde and made the body more modern-looking. The model here is called the Plein Ciel, which means "full sky", because of the generous amount of window area. The bodies were built by the Parisian coachbuilder Facel.