Beginning Sun. Dec 26th through Mon. Jan 31st, Lane Motor Museum staff will resume indoor masking in public places, regardless of vaccination status. It will be RECOMMENDED that all guests wear a mask while visiting the museum.
Please note that the cars or exhibit items shown in this database are part of our collection but may not be on display when you visit.
Mikrus (pronounced Meekroos, meaning: “little tyke” or “midget”) is a Microcar built in Poland between 1958 and 1960. The design brief titled “4 x 4” called for a 4-wheeled car,able to carry 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) while achieving 4 liters/100kilometers (59 mpg) and weighing 400 kilograms (882 lbs).
In 1994 BMW purchased Rover Group which included the Mini brand. In 1995 BMW began working on a replacement for the legendary Mini which had been in production since 1959. Rover continued to produce an updated original Mini during this transition period.
Victor Bouffort was a brilliant French engineer whose designs included the Lohr Fardier, a small utility four-wheel drive vehicle used by the French military, and the Valmobile folding scooter. By the late 1960s, Bouffort had become increasingly aware of traffic congestion in cities such as Paris, and decided to do something about it.
French inventor Charles Mochet 1880- 1934 had a passion for anything that rolled or flew while transporting people. When Georges, Mochet’s then 9-year-old son, repeatedly asked for a bicycle in 1923, his mother said no for fear he would injure himself.
Charles Mochet was France’s best known maker of pedal cars as a practical means of transportation for adults. He saw the advantage of designing a car where the rider could use the force of pushing against a back rest rather than relying on body weight to push down with gravity.
The Type K seen here is the first Mochet car offered without pedals, and the body is now made out of steel. As you can see, the body was very simple, which made it cheap and easy to produce, although the car would certainly win no beauty contest.
By the time of the Eight, William Morris had amassed quite a consortium of automotive component suppliers under the umbrella of Morris Motors Ltd. Hotchkiss and Wolesley provided engines, Pressed Steel Co. made body panels, Bishop supplied brakes and steering components, SU gave carburetors, and Wrigley made transmissions.